Frequently Asked Questions
Adjusters and Contractors
Why should an insurance company pay to have affected items cleaned rather than have them replaced with brand new items?
First, and probably most important, many people grow attached to their belongings. After going through such a difficult event, having to work to find replacements for all of their affected possessions would just add to their distress. FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners has the expertise and technology to restore sentimental items to pre-loss condition. This brings hope and joy that could never be provided by a substitute.
Second, the cost to restore most affected items is a fraction of what you would pay to replace them. The replacement cost for a nice pair of shoes could equate to over $100, while cleaning would be less than $10. Replacements for fine draperies could be $5,000 or more, when they could be cleaned for just hundreds of dollars. Restoration and renewal of affected items makes sense.
Will our clients need to purchase emergency clothing while their items are being processed?
No. FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners can provide an emergency order of clothing and other items to sustain your client, while their other contents and home are being restored. Generally, emergency orders can be completed and returned within 24 hours of stabilization. This emergency service will:
- Eliminate additional costs for you and the loss victim
- Help get your client and their family closer to normal with work, school, sports, etc.
- Gives your client the peace of mind that their remaining, valued possessions are being handled with care
FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners offers a 7-10 day turnaround from estimate approval for the remainder of the order. (link to Emergency Orders Page)
Will the estimate be easy to understand?
Yes. We provide a detailed explanation of the charges related to restoring the valued possessions of a disaster victim. FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners employs the most comprehensive estimating, tracking and reporting software (Xactimate and Symbility). We also utilize carrier specific forms to make your claim process flow smoothly.
Victims of Loss
How long will it take to restore my possessions?
We can clean emergency items and deliver them back to you in within 24-48 hours. In most cases, we can have your entire order ready for delivery in less than two weeks. Ultimately, you can set the schedule to coincide with the restoration of your residence.
Can you make sure my items don’t get mixed in with other customers’ items?
All of your items are placed in bags that have your name and job number clearly displayed, while our team is on-site. Each customer’s order is then sorted separately at our facility to prevent mistakes and cross-contamination. From beginning to end, your name and job number will always be clearly visible on the bag, box, washing machine, or label that contains or accompanies your items.
Do you have the room to safely store my belongings while my residence is restored?
FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners operates a climate controlled, secured and insured warehouse, that you can visit, to store your restored items until you are ready for delivery.
How will my belongings be delivered back to me?
After using the care label to ensure the correct cleaning and finishing process is used, your items will arrive by van with a uniformed technician ready to assist you. Any items that we collected on a hanger will return on a hanger. Items that were folded will be folded, etc. Here are some examples of our packaging methods:
- Bulk items, such as socks, undergarments, towels, sheets and pillowcases, will be folded and delivered to you in boxes labeled with content descriptions.
- Most shoes, purses and similar items will also be returned in labeled boxes.
- Other items will be pressed and on hangers
- Oversized pieces (suitcases, stuffed animals, etc.) will be individually bagged in clear plastic.
Will FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners be able to restore my damaged items to their original state?
Of the approximately 200 restorations we process per year, we restore approximately 95% of the damaged items collected to their pre-damage condition. We will also use the care label to ensure the correct cleaning and finishing process is used on your items.
What happens if an item does not restore to pre-damage condition?
Our experienced team will assist you in evaluating the extent of damage and their cleanability. Any item that does not restore to pre-loss condition will be identified. An itemized list will be provided to your insurance company and the cost of cleaning will be deducted from the final invoice.
After a Catastrophe Occurs
How can I help speed up the restoration process after a major catastrophe?
- Stay out of the home to avoid injury or more damage.
- Don’t try to clean your home on your own and don’t remove all items.
- Document property damage to all areas of the home including: Exterior areas, roofing, shingles, gutters, chimneys, flashing, siding, etc
- Wait for the FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners to arrive on-site and direct you in the next steps in the restoration process.
After Fire Damage
After fire damage has occurred, should I try to clean my house/building and its contents, before FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners arrives?
No. This may cause more harm than good and could prevent our cleaning experts from delivering satisfactory restoration services. It is better to wait until our restoration team arrives on-site. (link Smoke/Fire Damage page)
How can I keep myself and my family safe after major fire damage has occurred to my home?
- If an insurance claim will be filled, don’t disturb the area around the origin of the fire or dispose of any damaged items. Wait for the insurance personnel to notify you that it is OK to begin removing and displacing items in the home.
- Don’t use any belongings, carpet, furniture or other items damaged by smoke residue.
- Don’t try to turn any electronic appliances on, until they have been cleaned and inspected by experts.
Is it possible to remove all smoke odors from my home after a fire?
Yes. However, in many cases, some items will have to be replaced to achieve a completely odor-free environment within the home.
After Water Damage
What are common causes of major water damage in a home?
The main causes of water damage in a home could include: fire damage, severe weather/storms, blocked drainage lines, broken pipes, leaking roofs and broken appliances.
What are the first steps I should follow after severe water damage has occurred in my home?
- Call for help with assessment and clean-up.
- Turn off all electricity
- Stop the water, if possible and move to higher ground.
- Ventilate wet areas and have standing water professionally removed.
- Have all damaged clothing and other items evaluated and restored to pre-loss condition.
- To prevent injury, avoid all areas of the home with sagging ceilings caused by standing water. (link Water Damage page)
During a flood, does mold always develop?
No. Mold does not develop in all cases. The experts at FRSTeam by Gunderson Cleaners will work with you and your insurance company to determine if there is evidence of mold growth in your home.(link Mold Damage page)
How is sewage or flood damage different from basic water damage?
Although there is indeed a risk of pollution from basic water damage, sewage and flood water contain harmful contaminates, bacteria and other substances that may be very harmful. These contaminates are also easily transmitted. Children and pets are especially vulnerable to the pollutants caused by this type of damage.
Can all parts of my home/structure be restored after this type of damage has occurred?
It may not be possible to restore certain items such as carpeting, dry wall and other absorbent materials after they have been in contact with this type of damage. They may need to be replaced.
How can I be proactive and identify potential water damage, before a major problem occurs?
Homeowners should be aware and note any changes that occur in and around their home. The signs include: water spots on ceilings, water pipe problems, peeling paint, mold, moisture, leaking roofs, water gathering near home’s foundation, etc.
Please contact us.We would be delighted to serve you.